THIS SITE IS AGGRESSIVELY MODERATED READ RULES & PURPOSE ON GENERAL BOARD BEFORE POSTING
Login
- or -
Register

All Forums

Total Members: 2800

Forums moderator - Forum Admin
info@highintensity.net

The Message from Forum Admin (moderator)

Search Topics:  
General Forum:
Topic:
Started By HIT (northwest, wa5, england)
Started on: 4/27/2004 12:08:35 PM, viewed 2863 times
Heavy Duty: Mike Mentzerís Most Productive Routine

Hi Guys,

good link enjoy

http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/detail.php?pid=911

This Topic has 4 Replies: Displaying 1 - 4 out of 4 Replies:
Zeus (HIT, Mike, Sweden) on 4/27/2004 2:33:07 PM

HIT

A very good link.

Does anyone know if this article can be found in one of Littles books (or someone elses books)?

Be well, train hard & think smart!

NeuroMass (HIT, Mike, Sweden, Philippines) on 4/27/2004 9:38:15 PM

HIT and Zeus,

That article was all about Mike′s most productive HIT routine during his COMPETITIVE days (early 80′s). It involves MORE volume and MORE frequency that what he later recommended in HD2. Ineresting as the TITLE may sound but the routine John Little presented in that article was OUTDATED! It was more of a HISTORICAL reference than an actual routine recommendation. PEACE.

HIT (northwest, wa5, england) on 4/28/2004 2:06:18 PM

Hi Guys,

another good link enjoy

http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/detail.php?pid=726&page_count=1

Ferrari (Gatineau, QC, Canada) on 4/28/2004 3:00:59 PM

Guys,

I have a real problem with this statement from the article.

Mentzer′s proposition was somewhat different from the good doctor′s, however, for whereas Darden recommended workouts that were upward of 20 sets in length...

I have the book in question from 1982 and there are 14 separate routines.
10 have 12 sets
1 has 11 sets
3 have 10 sets
Nowhere is there upwards of 20. You also have to go way back into the early 70s to find Nautilus speaking of 20 sets. Darden wasn′t even a member of Nautilus at the time.

In fact in a question and Ansewr part of the book he states:
"After you have doubled your strength, your total number of exercises should be reduced from 12 to 10, and your high-intensity workouts should be reduced from three to two."

and "to quadruple your strength ... another reduction is in order...Instead of 10 exercises, you now perform only 8 exercises. In place of two hard training days a week, you have one.

They still advocated 3 days per week but the other workouts stopped 2-3 reps short of failure.

In 1978 and 1982 book called Total Fitness, Nautilus state:

sub principle 6.3 "not more than 12 different exercises"...

sub principle 6.5 "An advanced trainee does not need more exercise than a beginner: he needs harder exercise and in most cases less exercise."

I have been able to go back to 1978 and there is no mention of 20 plus sets. In fact for most of us here they were recommending 8 sets maximum. I don′t like this method of rewriting history to suit one′s personal needs. John little should know better.

To Post Your Reply:
Please Login :
E-Mail:
Password:
Remember me next time
or, Register Now
and enjoy FREE Membership
with Highintensity Fan Club!
Register Now